Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: OT - Scary Christmas in the ER !!!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member DaisyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2005
    Posts
    646
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    My Christmas started out so nice today. My best friend Tia and her daughter Emily spent the night and celebrated the holiday with me. We made up a little stocking for her AG doll with all kinds of mini toys. It was so much fun to watch her open her gifts, and after the melee I was reading from a christmas book I loved as a child that's about the legend of Nicholas (Santa Claus.) All of a sudden I get a phone call, and our perfect morning is shattered. It was my mother calling to tell me that my 91 year old grandfather "Poppy" had passed out in church and they had taken him to the hospital in an ambulance. We all scrambled to get our clothes on, and Tia drove Emily to her mom's house, and then came to sit with me in the emergency room. When I got there they were taking him for an MRI to see if he was having a stroke, and his pulse was very weak and thready. We went up to the cafeteria, and Mom told us what happened. About 15 minutes into the service he had said he needed to use the bathroom but when he didn't get up, she shook him, and he was passed out. She had thought he had died sitting in the pew, but luckily a couple men from the church (one was a retired EMT) came over and carried him out to the front hall. He started coming around and they got him to the bathroom, and then the paramedics showed up. So along with the story, our Christmas dinner consisted of shoe leather roast beef, and way-too-spiced cake in the hospital dining room. After we finished we went back down to the ER, and the doctor came right in. Luckily it wasn't a stroke, but he thinks that Poppy might have had a T.I.A. It's kind of like a mini stroke to explain it the easiest way. He's had them before, the last time was summer a year and a half ago when we drove out to North Dakota for a family reunion. We came back on a southern route and were in Mitchell, SD visiting the Corn Palace. That time he ended up in the hospital overnight. This time though, the doctor thought he was okay to go home since there wasn't evidence of a stroke, his heart rate had normalized, and he was fully alert again. He did however send him home with a portable heart monitor which he has to wear for the next day or so, and then go in to see his regular Doc. Provided of course, that he doesn't have any more attacks. We didn't end up opening gifts until 3pm. What a day! I'm still worried about him, and everything has just totally worn me out, mentally and physically. Sorry this was so long. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest. I hope eveyone else had a wonderful Christmas and didn't have to go through anything as harrowing as this!

    ~Dee

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry you had to spend Christmas at the hospital. I'm glad to hear your grandfather is feeling better again and I hope he'll be completely well again soon.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bgeurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    630
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My prayers go out to you and your family this holiday season. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member AGTeacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I hope Poppy recovers fast. sending alot of prayers to you and your family. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MollyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2005
    Posts
    945
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It may not of been the Christmas you had hoped for, but you were with you family and your Poppy I am sure felt much better knowing you and your Mother were there waiting for him. You were where you were needed the most. I am very glad that your Poppy is better and that he got to share Christmas with you all.

    Wishing you and your family a very healthy new year.

    [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dee, I am so sorry to hear how your Christmas went!!! Many years ago, on my brother?s 13th birthday and during his party, my brother (who already had a broken arm) additionally developed appendicitis and pneumonia, and my dad came down with a permanent and severe neurological disease (later diagnosed as Multiple Sclerosis)! My mom and I spent that day and then some in the hospital watching our two ?men? laying in matching hospital beds.

    It is horrible, and a total shock to your system, when a major emergency occurs on what is supposed to be a special and happy day. I hope your grandfather is feeling better and that your family keeps you abreast of what is happening as far as his condition.

    Take care--I hope you have some moments when you can enjoy the holiday season. I know it can be hard and sometimes you feel guilty when you do, but you deserve to have some special and happy moments.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 26, 2005 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •